1.31.2012

brilliant projects heretofore unpublished: nature + fiction + decay + watercolor



To round out this series of "brilliant projects heretofore unpublished" featuring my watercolor work, here are a few little pieces I did several years ago. Still labor intensive, but much smaller than my delphinium and hydrangea pieces (start here to see those).


A milkweed pod suspended in a web. 

Desiccated leaves....


 A little closer up.


This pea pod was used for the invitation to the Sausalito Women's Club Garden Tour in 2005.  A terrible scan, sapped of the color and oriented incorrectly. You can't win 'em all.


These were a move toward a change in content and composition. This past weekend, while we were away for my birthday, I sat down and started sketching out some ideas for some grittier work I have wanted to do for years. I wanted to depict garbage, or decay, or at least something less floral than my previous work. I came up with the following sketches.




Lo and behold, the morning after we returned I found THESE at thejealouscurator.com and now I am back to square one. Garbage STILL IN THE BAGS! This is brilliant. This is where I wanted to go with this, I just didn't know it, wasn't sharp enough to get there. This artist has blown my socks off. I'm going to try to use these pieces as inspiration. But how do you take something that is so inspiring, and as "The Jealous Curator" says, makes you say "damn, I wish I thought of that", and move ahead, instead of dwelling on it and circling around it like a buzzard? I've got to figure that one out. Soon!





6 comments:

  1. I love the milk weed AND the leaf! They just invite study! That is interesting about your recent piece - it happens all the time you have an idea and then you see it somewhere. It confirms that it is a good idea. I would say continue to pursue it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I could do a million more of those. And I always draw from an actual object, but no milkweeds out here so had to go with my imagination and memory of the pods. I used to love ripping those apart and watching the tufts blow away.

      I think I've never put enough THOUGHT into what I paint, and that instead of blocking out time to try to work, I should start blocking out time to try to THINK!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Emily! Next up: beautiful, ugly work! :)

      Delete
  3. I love the recent decay pieces and the jealous curator link (the coolest name as well). Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tania! The Jealous Curator blog makes me very jealous in its very concept!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...