10.17.2011

showtime: frida kahlo and marilyn monroe, elbo room, october 14, 2011


This past Friday night Bombshell Betty put on one of the most creative shows I've ever seen. The Art History show was out of this world. It was a hot, sweaty mess, the likes of which I've never felt in San Francisco before. It was fantastic! Artists and art represented included Picasso, Van Gogh, Botticelli's "Birth of Venus", Bob Ross of "The Joy of Painting", "The Portrait of Madame X", a fantastic Surrealist number, a blue Keith Haring dancing man (hilarious!), Betty's incredible Chihuly tribute, and of course our wonderful Andy Warhol's pop art Marilyn Monroe group number. And last but not least, my tribute to Frida Kahlo. After all that work, I am just thrilled with how it turned out! I am especially thrilled that there were no wardrobe or prop malfunctions. The heat was so bad my giant sequined unibrow kept falling off backstage. Thank goodness Betty had a secret silver bullet for keeping it on my sweaty forehead until I was ready to peel it off during my act.

Photo stills from videos are all I have at the moment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed some better images show up somewhere.






Eyebrow removal. Mine and hers.

Here's where I put on this incredible Frida Dias De Los Muertos mask I bought from an artist on eBay. It's amazing.

Lucky me! All this overexposed, overlit footage means I can show you the end of the act and still be presentable!

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Here are some stills from the Marilyn act. The choreography is based on six poses and is SO fun to dance!




I can feel my improvement with these acts. I'm starting to acknowledge the audience a lot more, which is so important. I can't wait to revisit older acts with these evolving skills. I also can't wait to do the Frida act again tonight at the show in Oakland at The Uptown. 

I really have to thank David for subsidizing and sponsoring this outlet for me. How lucky am I to be doing something like this? I have been getting a lot of "props" lately, and I feel a little guilty, because if David wasn't taking care of us the way he is right now, I'd never get around to doing any of this. So thank you, Mr. Vazquez/Mr. Yve Jobs!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...